Wednesday, December 5, 2007

You

You have been gone for one month now
Well, thirty five days to be exact
I have thought about you only once since you left
Starting on October 31st and lasting until you come back

Distance makes the heart grow fonder
That’s what everyone says
But it is the distance that separates us now
That makes my heart ache the way it is

The distance seems so cruel and unfair
I ask “Why did you have to go?”
I ask this everyday you are gone
And quickly find that I know

I know exactly why you left me
I know why you aren’t here
I know why you wanted to fight
I know why you wanted to wear your gear

For you are the definition of selfless
Always caring for those you love
But you have taken it a step further this time
Protecting those you don’t know anything of

You have made your family and America proud
Fighting for what you know is right
If only there were more of you in this world
Maybe there wouldn’t be so much fight

It is your strength that gives us strength
To keep our chins up while you’re away
The model soldier you have become
You are no doubt the bravest of brave

So as you spend so many more months
Away from the ones you love so dear
Remember that we pray for you
And wish every second that we had you here

-posted by Lindsay

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Absolutely beautiful!
Jordan if you are reading this, I put a packaged in the mail for you on Dec. 4. I hope you enjoy the contents. Jackie Moore

Mrs. Mullen said...

Beautiful Poem!!

My husband just returned home from his 15 month tour in Iraq. Hang in there...there isnt a day that passes that I dont thank God to have my soldier back safe and sound and I'll NEVER take him for granted!! Those deployments do that to you, lol.