Thursday, September 27, 2007

Iraq in One Week

One week from today, Jordan leaves for Iraq. We are quite confident that this time it's for real. After a slight emotional breakdown, I think I have accepted it. Last night when I first got the call that he was probably going to be deployed in the very near future, I was mad. Yelling, screaming, crying mad. "I can't do this again!" I sobbed into my husband's arms. It has been an emotional roller coaster. He is going to Iraq, no he's going to Afghanistan, no he's not going anywhere, wait, yeah, he has to go to Iraq. Last night I said that I wished he had just gone on that first deployment. In a way, that might have been easier, but in another way, this emotional roller coaster has been like novocaine. We are so numb with emotion that somehow it doesn't hurt as bad now. Maybe I'm just still in shock. We all knew that it was very possible that he would be deployed eventually, but I really thought we would at least have the holidays together.

Everyone who knows more about this than I do, Jordan, Lindsay, Nate, tell me that these are pretty good orders. He will be on an AFB in Southern Iraq. Basically he’s going to be a cop for the AFB over there just like he is in Charleston This is way better that running convoys in Iraq which was his first order, and even better than guarding war prisoners in Afghanistan which was his second order.

While God didn't grant our prayer requests of Jordan never having to go to war, he did grant them by giving Jordan a better deployment order. As quick as this all seems to be happening, the Lord has known all along. He knew from day one that Jordan would be deployed to Iraq in October 2007. He knew and He knows what the future holds. We just have to trust in Him.

Here is why I am more okay with this than I ever thought possible: Jordan wants to go. Really wants to go. This is part of an email I got from sweet Lindsay this morning... It’s his job and he loves being apart of something that means so much to America. I’m extremely thankful he’ll be located on base and not out and about. Jordan and I were actually talking about this yesterday…he said he was thinking about volunteering his service in Iraq after the holidays were over. He really wants this experience and he wants to be able say that he helped fight a war and create peace in a country that’s so chaotic and dysfunctional. I know it’s going to be hard not having him here for so long, but we have to keep in mind that this is what he loves to do and this is what makes him happy.

Those words literally stopped my tears (OK, dried my tears momentarily). Selfishly, there is nothing I want less than to have to send my precious little brother to war, but it is so much easier knowing that he WANTS to go.

Please cover Jordan and our family in your prayers. God is good, and I know that he isn't done building Jordan's testimony yet.


-posted by Jaime

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaime and family,
While I know this is heartbreaking for you all, please know that Jordan is covered in prayers and I firmly believe that God has been training a UNIT of special angels to protect him from harm - they must have needed some extra training (hence the delayed deployment). It is in his hands!! From one military family to another, my heart breaks for you and with you!! We will continue to pray for him and the experiences he will have, as we will for you! Stay strong and know that this too shall pass. Keep us posted!!
Christan Trotter
Wife of Spc Cory Trotter
US ARMY

Corrie said...

Keep us updated as you hear from him! I know everyone who has been thinking about him thus far will continue to keep him in their prayers!

Terri said...

Just wanted to let Jordan and his family know that my thoughts and prayers are with them all. I have no doubt that Jordan will make GOD, his family and his country proud while completing the duties he was called to do.
GOD bless you all!